Eliminating insomnia causes and overcoming insomnia is usually accomplished very easily through hypnosis.
Strategies for Falling Asleep
The following strategies are sometimes helpful for insomnia treatment. You may try them and find yourself going to sleep easily and sleeping comfortably without needing to come to my office to be hypnotized.
- Try reading for about ten or fifteen minutes before going to sleep. Read something soothing that will help calm your mind before going to sleep. Select a book or article about a pleasant subject which you will be able to put down easily as soon as you become sleepy.
- If you are a chronic worrier, talk to someone either in person or on the phone before going to bed. Be sure it is someone you care about who can ease your mind and keep you from worrying after you go to bed.
- If your mind is agitated and it seems like you have difficulty slowing it down, get out of bed and do something, such as clean up the kitchen, or the living room to get your mind on something else. If you stay in bed, feeling agitated, you will just lay there tossing and turning for a long period of time.
- Try exercising before you go to bed. Take an evening stroll around the block or do some other exercises about a half hour prior to going to bed. Do not exercise and then hop into bed right away. Exercise stimulates your system, so you will need about a half hour to settle down after doing the exercise before going to bed.
- Drink some hot milk or hot chocolate or some other soothing drink, such as hot lemon juice before going to bed.
- Avoid eating heavily before going to bed. Try to avoid eating at least two hours before going to bed. That permits your digestive system to have some time to settle down.
- Don’t go to bed hungry. Hunger will stimulate your mind, making it difficult to fall asleep. If you are hungry, eat something light before going to bed.
- Repeat the following affirmation when you turn your light out and are ready to go to sleep: “I am going to go to sleep easily, and sleep well and wake up in the morning feeling rested and refreshed.”
Strategies for Staying Asleep
Some people get to sleep quite easily but have difficulty in staying asleep. If you wake up several times during the night, or if you awaken before you would like to and find it difficult to get back to sleep, try the following strategies:
- It may be that you are awakening because something is troubling you, something that you have not resolved within yourself. Mentally review any problem or difficulty you may be facing or avoiding. Once you determine what the problem is, then tell yourself you will take care of it tomorrow. Then use one of the strategies for falling asleep.
- If you awaken earlier than you would like to, it may be that you need less sleep than you think you do. You may feel tired during the day because you have psychologically conditioned yourself to believe you need more sleep than you are getting. If you awaken early and cannot go back to sleep, even after using one of the strategies for falling asleep, then get out of bed and use your time constructively. Most of the great geniuses throughout history slept only a few hours each night. Many of them felt that sleeping was a waste of time. They trained themselves to happily exist on just a few hours sleep each day.
- When you awaken early, do not try to force yourself to go back to sleep. If you are awake and alert, get up and do something you enjoy. Allow your sleeping patterns to help you accomplish more in your life.
Fatigue Upon Awakening
Very few people awaken bright-eyed and alert after sleeping for more than a few hours. It normally takes fifteen to twenty minutes to get the sleep and drowsiness out of your consciousness. If you have trouble clearing your mind after waking from sleep, immediately upon awakening get out of bed. If you tend to linger in bed, you will remain drowsy.
Check out our reviews page and see some of the benefits our hypnotherapy clients have achieved through hypnosis over the last 28 years!